Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Back to normal?

Still fighting my throat bug--now confirmed as viral laryngitis by a doctor's visit--but getting back to my regular routine and energy levels. E's costume got made, he had a great time at Anime North, and I finally got my portfolio redesign done!

I'm actually following the lead of two very different jobs. One I found out about last week: a part-time (3 days a week) office manager role in the Beaches. The other I was told about yesterday: through a recruiter, a full-time senior designer-slash-art-director out in North York. Both would have commutes of about an hour and change. Both are permanent.

On the surface it seems like an easy pick; but for years now I have been struggling to get out of design, and ramming myself into the wall of Relevant Experience. I haven't done office or retail since I was in school, and employers know that, and discount my career experience. This job is different; I come recommended through a family friend. So my resume counts less, meaning I have an actual shot at it. It's only max 25 hours a week, but it would give me the time I want to devote to my fascinators and my writing, while liveable money came in.

The second job would advance my career significantly, and be much, much more money. It's a tempting carrot, especially as I get older and worry about RRSP savings and such. Not to mention saving to move to Japan.

But...

I suppose I shall just have to try my best at both, and see which bites. Perhaps only one will; or neither, in which case, this sort of agonizing is for nothing. Except blog posts.

Day 5 of Happiness: Looking forward to my daily walk! I haven't been going while I was sick. The weather is much cooler today! Not to mention, I'm pretty proud of my new shiny portfolio.

No comments: