Friday, May 16, 2014

#100 -- 99 to go

I've wanted to do the #100happydays challenge for a little while now, but I don't think it's something for FB--most of my friends would no doubt vomit copiously upon seeing Day 35: Brunch With E., since we're entirely too gross already. So I'm going to use the blog for it, and just append a little happiness at the bottom of each post. (Starting today.)

But really what I want to use the blog for is to write about writing.

One, I want to get in the habit of writing every day, even if it's "just" blogging. It's like exercise, saying it's "just" walking. Get up off the couch, dammit!

Two, I want to write about my experiences trying to start my own business, and maybe writing a blog every day will help me to remember to update my business's Tumblr or Pintrest until those, too, become habit. Nevermind just writing the business plan!

Robert J. Sawyer, who is a highly successful writer even if I personally don't like his novels, had an article about editing here that had a tangent at the end about wordcount goals. (John Scalzi also has an excellent article on the subject.) That's something I really aspire to. I've done NaNo a couple of times, I can do 2K under pressure, but I'd like to get into a daily habit, that's not about a deadlline. Even if a blog post is a warm-up, it's still better than nothing.

Happy Day One: today I am not very happy at all, I'm stressed out from job hunting and portfolio building, but I know that this evening E'll come home and we'll have a warm dinner and watch some tv, and really, that's all I want from life right now. I may not be happy right this moment but I know I will be soon and for that I feel very grateful and lucky.

No comments: